Tomorrow morning I am (most likely) running my 7th half marathon and boyfriend is running his first. I say most likely, as there’s a possibility it could be cancelled due to weather. Hey, #HurricaneJoaquin, chill the eff out, okay?
This pic mostly describes how we feel after our 10-week CrossFit Endurance training cycle. It was an interesting experience and way different than any other training plan I’ve used before. I think I’ll write a more in-depth post on CFE training vs. traditional race plans at a later date…perhaps after we see some results from it? For now, since I’ve shared my training here each week, I figured you be invested and want to know my goals for the race, plus some random thoughts I’m having on the eve of the race. Let’s start with my goals for tomorrow’s 13.1 jaunt in the rain.
- A goal–> PR (aka 1:58:44 or below). Ha! I truly have no idea if this is possible (especially given the weather forecast), but I’m dreaming big! Isn’t that what the A goal is for?
- B goal–> Sub-2, just because.
- C goal–> Finish feeling strong and proud, given whatever the race day conditions are!
- Bonus goal–>No chafing! I don’t mind running in the rain, but I’ve never done it for this long of a distance and I’ll be lathering up with Aquaphor tomorrow.
So, yeah. I have some goals, but ultimately I’m feeling really laid back about this race. Maybe because it’s not my first rodeo, maybe because the weather forecast (53 degrees, 90% humidity with wind and rain) has me in the “just finish” mindset, but I think mostly because it doesn’t feel like MY race. I certainly trained for it, but I see it more as OUR race. Boyfriend and I made a commitment to each other to do this together. We started the training together and we’ll celebrate our accomplishment after we both finish tomorrow. I do have some secret goals in mind for him, but since it’s his first race I’m going to keep those secret. He’s had an awesome training cycle, I have no doubt he will rock this race tomorrow, and I’m just excited to see how he does!
And now, a few thoughts I’m having as I reflect on our training cycle…
- Running is hard. Running fast is really hard. Running fast feels easier when you only do it for short distances, which is something I enjoyed about CF Endurance.
- I found it extremely disheartening to run with (or behind) boyfriend at times. He is fast! Some people find it motivational, I struggled.
- Training together was good for our relationship and helped us work on communication. I would vent about a tough long run and he finally understood what I meant, since he’d been there too. He would have one shitty morning at the track and I’d encourage him to step back at look at his improvements from the start of training. Ultimately it was a great opportunity to make a commitment and work toward a common goal together.
- Running buddies (who are not super fast boyfriend) are essential. I’m looking at you, Beth!
- It must be so easy to run with long legs. Kind of kidding, mostly not.
- I miss lifting weights. Yes, we followed a CrossFit Endurance plan, so I was lifting during some of the training and going to classes 3-4 days a week, but it is not the same as solely training with CrossFit. There were definitely times I scaled workouts and took it easier, knowing I had run earlier that day, or because I knew I had speed work the next day.
- Watching someone else accomplish a goal might just feel better than accomplishing one yourself. I’ll know more about that after tomorrow! 😉
- I really really hope the rain holds off for our race. Mostly because I don’t want boyfriend’s first (and probably last) race experience to be totally miserable.
That’s all for now. I’m off to eat dinner and get our race clothes/gear all laid out, garbage bag ponchos included. Wish us luck and keep your fingers crossed that the rain holds off. I’ll be back with a recap next week either way. Have a great weekend!