I’m starting this blog right at the beginning of my favorite season: FALL! There are many reasons to love fall, not the least of which is the FOOD! Apples, pumpkins, squash, and most root vegetables are at their freshest and most delicious right now!
Since one of my favorite things to do is modify recipes to make them more healthy and nutritious, I recently created a new verison of a typical pumpkin pie recipe. Check it out below and try it for yourselves!
Pumpkin Pie Oat Bars
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 egg + 2 egg whites
3/4 cup white sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can non-fat evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Add in flour and oats. Press oat mixture into 9X13 baking pan.
3. Bake oat crust for 20 minutes until slightly brown.
4. In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Mix in pumpkin and evaporated milk.
5. Add salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves to pumpkin pie filling.
6. Pour filling over pre-baked oat crust.
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool and serve.
*Makes 24 pumpkin pie oat bar squares!