I’ve been on the road a bunch lately and if you follow along here at KH Nutrition, you know I’m also marathon training. So how do I fit it all in? Here are some of my tips for fitting in (healthy) eating and sweating when life gets super hectic:
- Pack snacks. I fully admit to being a crazy snack lady. I don’t like getting stuck without food and get pretty cranky when I’m hungry, so I make sure to travel with fruit, KIND bars, trail mix, energy balls or anything else for on-the-go.
- Make quick (& healthy) meals! I love to cook, but I totally get it when people say they struggle with finding time to prepare meals. But needing quick options is not reason to turn to fast food or other crap. I rely heavily on some quality frozen items and canned beans/veggies to make my meals. Trader Joe’s has a few really great options, like this Superfood Pilaf that I turn to for quick weeknight dinners or post-run refueling.
- Drink lots of water. I bring my Klean Kanteen (empty through security), which I can then fill up at airports, in the hotel, at my accounts, etc. I always keep a water bottle at my desk to remind me to stay hydrated and like to use it as an excuse to get up from my desk a few times a day to refill!
- Check out your meal options in advance. If you’re traveling, research the area you’re staying in and check out menus. Look for healthy options in your hotel or on the room service menu, and ask locals for recommendations.
- Utilize technology! I’ve been loving Yoga Download.com, but you can use other great websites like Daily Burn that let you live stream workouts.
- Make exercise a priority. It really is important to make fitness a part of your regular routine, just like you do with a favorite TV show. If you’re working late hours or traveling, pass on a late-night dinner to squeeze in a workout. Wake up an hour earlier. I’m sure everyone has heard (or said) “I don’t have time to exercise”, but that’s just an excuse! Make the time!
- Make it fun! Find local parks or trails to explore, ask for a free trial at a nearby gym or fitness class, link up with someone you know via social media. In case you haven’t noticed, one of my favorite things to do is drop-in to a local CrossFit box during my travels.
- Take advantage of what you can. Many of the hotels I’ve been staying in have 24-hour fitness facilities, so I know I can squeeze a workout in, no matter how early or late I’ll be working. Bring your swimsuit and jump in the pool or just use extra hotel floor space for stretching and yoga.
Staying on track with eating and sweating when life gets crazy is super important and will only help you to work more efficiently, feel better and live a happier life.
Tell me: how do you fit healthy eating and exercising into your life?