Disclosure: I received Freekeh Foods product to review as part of my ambassador program with SweatPink and FitApproach. I was not compensated for this review and as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Alright, who’s ready to get freekeh with me? About a month ago (I know, talk about a delayed post…) I shared this photo on my Instagram feed:
Thanks to my ambassadorship with Sweat Pink, I received two packages of freekeh from Freekeh Foods: 1 original and 1 flavor of my choice! If you’ve been reading this little blog for a while now, you may remember that I’m a fan of Freekeh Foods. From a nutritional standpoint, it offers more protein and fiber than brown rice (6 grams protein and 4 grams fiber per serving) and is versatile enough to be used in all kinds of dishes, including breakfast (see recipe for my Apple Cinnamon Freekeh Parfait).
This time around I wanted to use freekeh in a different way and I quickly found some inspiration at work. I had been speaking with our head of Culinary Development about a beet risotto and immediately knew freekeh would be a perfect fit! The combo of red and golden beets makes this dish really pop with color and nutrition. It’s super easy to prepare and can be served hot or cold. This Red Beet Freekeh Risotto is sure to impress your dinner guests, so read on for the recipe and be sure to enter my Freekeh Foods giveaway at the end! Enjoy!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium beets, roasted
- 1 small golden beet, roasted
- 1 package Freekeh (approximately 2 cups dry)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add garlic and chopped onion, cooking until tender.
- In a separate pan, bring 5 cups vegetable broth and 1 package freekeh to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- While freekeh is cooking, puree roasted beets in a blender or food processor with 1 cup vegetable broth.
- Stir onion mixture and beet liquid into cooked freekeh and mix well.
- Serve topped with golden beets and goat cheese.
Now for your chance to win some for yourself! Here are the ways you can enter to win (each counts as one entry):
1. Follow @freekehfoods on twitter.
2. Follow @freekehfoods on Instagram.
3. Like Freekeh Foods on Facebook.
4. Tweet about this giveaway, using the hashtag #lovefreekeh!
Be sure to leave a comment below telling me how you entered. I’ll be choosing a winner this Friday, September 11th. Good luck!