Happy Friday, friends! Ooooh boy do I have some chocolate-y nutbutter-y goodness to share with y’all today. Along with the rest of the East coast, I was stuck inside during Winter Storm Jonas last weekend, which resulted in the development of some yummy recipes, including Dark Chocolate NuttzoButter cups. In case you aren’t yet familiar with Nuttzo, it is an awesome line of nut and seed butters created by an even more awesome woman, plus a percentage of sales from each jar go to the charity Project Left Behind.
I’m lucky enough to be a brand ambassador for Nuttzo and truly stand behind the product and their mission. To get 15% off Nuttzo online, use my discount code “hoban15” at checkout! You can also find Nuttzo in Whole Foods, Fairway and lots of other natural food markets. If you follow me on twitter and Instagram, you’ve probably seen me sharing the #NuttzoLove and if you read this blog you may have seen my other Nuttzo recipes, like Chocolate Nuttzo Pumpkin Plantain Donuts! I actually made those donuts during another big winter storm, so there must be something about snow that makes me crave chocolate and Nuttzo. 🙂
I know I’m not alone in my love for that flavor combo of nut butter and chocolate. I mean, who doesn’t love peanut butter cups? Reese’s (I still don’t know how to pronounce that btw) sure are delicious, but did you know just one of the regular size cups packs 8 grams (aka 2 teaspoons) of sugar plus additives and preservatives. No, thanks! Also, I’ll pass on milk chocolate in favor of dark chocolate any day. So I decided to skip the unnecessary stuff and come up with my own version of a peanut butter cup using satisfying dark chocolate and my favorite trusty nut butter.
Talk about YUM! So enough blabbing…let’s get right down to the deliciousness. These Dark Chocolate NuttzoButter Cups are made with only three ingredients: dark chocolate chunks, Original Nuttzo and coconut oil. Oh and a sprinkle of sea salt on top for good measure! I made them in regular muffin tins since I didn’t have any mini muffin liners, so they’re big enough to share with someone you love! Next time, I’ll probably make minis so they’re a little more popable! Check out the recipe below and ENJOY, my friends!
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Original Smooth Nuttzo (any flavor would work!)
- sea salt (optional)
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners (or mini muffin tin if you have one!)
- In a double boiler, combine half of the dark chocolate (3/4 cup) and 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil until melted and combined.
- Pour chocolate into tins, separating into 6 compartments. Place into freezer for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Layer ~1 Tbsp Nuttzo per cup and place back into freezer for another 5 minutes.
- Melt remaining chocolate and coconut oil together in double boiler (microwave would also work). Remove tin from freezer and pour chocolate mixture on top of each cup. Return tin to freezer for 10 minutes or until solid. For salty sweetness, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Store in freezer until ready to enjoy!
- This recipe makes 6 large nut butter cups or 12 mini cups