This is not your mama’s twice-baked potato! Just a few ingredients come together perfectly for this hearty and nutritious vegan twist on Shepherd’s Pie.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is 7-ingredient (Or Less) Recipes, which is once again right up my alley. I myself tend to cook and eat meals that are made up of simple components. For example, a weeknight meal for me is typically a protein (like tempeh or beans) paired with a cooked grain and roasted veggies. Simple, nutritious and delicious.
When I’m feeling adventurous and searching for new recipes, I hate when I find something that sounds incredible, only to find out it has 35 ingredients, most of which I don’t have on hand. You know what I always DO have on hand? Sweet potatoes. I may have mentioned how much I love them a time or two here on the blog. 😉 One of my very favorite things to make is a vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie, topped with whipped sweet potatoes! I usually make a big batch and boyfriend and I will eat it all week long. So for this month’s Recipe Redux challenge, I decided to take that recipe, which is fairly simple to begin with, and really break it down to its basics.
This Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Sweet Potato has just seven ingredients and is vegan and gluten-free! By stuffing the baked sweet potato with a mixture of lentils, onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes, we’re jam-packing it with plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
The whipped sweet potato topping is my favorite part of this recipe, because it adds some texture to the dish, but mostly because it just looks schnazzy! Try these simple stuffed sweet potatoes for dinner this week or at your next dinner party to impress your guests. For the purposes of the Recipe Redux challenge I stuck to just 7 ingredients but feel free to add salt and pepper to taste, or even herbs like rosemary or thyme. Enjoy!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomato
- Preheat oven to 400* F. Scrub sweet potatoes and puncture with a fork. Place on sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add in chopped carrots, celery and onion, cook about 10 minutes (covered). Add cooked lentils and diced tomatoes and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Slice top 1/3 off potato lengthwise and scoop inside of potatoes into a food processor or blender. Pulse until potatoes are whipped (adding a little water if necessary).
- Fill sweet potato shells with approximately 1/3 cup lentil mixture. Top each potato with mashed sweet potatoes and return to the oven to bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- *Add salt, pepper or other seasonings (Rosemary or thyme) to taste.
- *To make whipped sweet potato topping look fancy, use a pastry bag or spoon into a large ziploc bag and cut the corner to pipe potato.