Football season is back and my NY Giants started the season off strong with a win over the Cowboys on Sunday. Truth be told, I didn’t even realize football season was upon us already! Let’s blame the crazy hot and humid weather that is hanging around too far into September. So Sunday afternoon, when boyfriend and I decided to go grab burgers and beers after a long weightlifting/CrossFit session, we were surprised to find a jam-packed bar. Jets and Giants fans alike were gathered to watch the games and enjoy beers, burgers and wings.
Ahhhh, buffalo wings. There is just something about hot wings and cold beer that makes sense. Back in my college years, I enjoyed my fair share of both. The problem is that traditional buffalo wings are deep-fried and slathered in a butter/hot sauce combo, which doesn’t always leave you feeling so great. These days, this plant-powered eater skips the chicken wings altogether but I’ve perfected my own vegetarian “wings” for those times I get a hankering for hot sauce. And don’t worry, I still enjoy a good beer or three every now and then too! 😉
My go-to veggiesaurus version of buffalo chicken wings uses tempeh, a fermented soybean cake that packs about 21g of protein per 4 ounces. Tempeh is also a good source of fiber and the texture holds up incredibly compared to other meat alternatives and substitutes. I use LightLife brand or Trader Joe’s, which is an awesome three-grain tempeh made with brown rice, barley and millet. Tempeh can be cooked as is, but steaming or boiling before marinating it is key to allowing the flavors of your sauce or marinade to sink in.
Paired with this super simple Greek yogurt dip, my buffalo tempeh “wings” will be a crowdpleaser among vegans and meat-eaters alike at your next game-day celebration. I’ve also used this buffalo tempeh recipe on its own over a bed of greens or stuffed into a swiss chard wrap with blue cheese crumbles. So good, however you choose to make it!
- 2 8-oz blocks of tempeh (I used LightLife Three Grain)
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut blocks of tempeh lengthwise into 4 sections, then again into thirds to form “wings”.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and place tempeh wings in, boil for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- In a bowl, toss wings with hot sauce until well coated. Set aside to let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350*F while tempeh marinates.
- Place tempeh “wings” on a sheet pan and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, turning once to bake evenly on both sides.
- While tempeh is baking, add yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, garlic powder and pepper to a small bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Serve with Greek Yogurt Dip or your favorite creamy dip/dressing.
Tell me…have you tried vegan “wings” before? What are your favorite game-day foods?